Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pei G Tsai


Today was my very first day of grad school, and though it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it definitely was a bizarre day. First of all, as I unfortunately did not take a modern language the first two times around, I am now stuck in a first-year undergrad course with people an entire decade younger than me. I can't even fathom what it's like to not have breathed 80s air, or to not remember a time before the Internets. And each and every one of these kids seem to have sprouted an extra appendage - do kids these days even know how to put their cellphone down? However, since I must choose only one, The 18-Year-Old of the Day Award goes to the guy who sat in front of me. Yes, young sir, it's a good thing you wore that tank top on a blustery day so we can all see your manly armpit hair and terrible tattoo or 'tat', as I'm sure you call it. And yes, we all recognize that you woke up an extra half an hour early to get your hair just so. Both of those things are very important to help you watch those .gifs on your laptop to the best of your ability when you're supposed to be learning Italian instead. You are, come si dice...il douchebag.

Anyway, the other notable portion of my day consisted of both me not throwing up before my Latin class with the most intimidating prof ever (in the very same room where I had a Latin class with him six whole years ago) AND him not recognizing me (as I am now blonde and bespectacled) but yet being able to give the entire class a synopsis of a paper I wrote for his class (...six years ago) after seeing my name on the attendance sheet. Oh boy. Anyway, his synopsis segways into the Pei G Tsai A/W 12/13 collection from London-based Taiwanese designer Peggy Pei-Chuan Tsai (found via NJAL). The reason being because, just as my Latin paper on Tacitus took someone else's idea and applied and revamped it to fit my topic, Peggy here has taken Julian Roberts' subtraction cutting method and experimented with it for her graduate collection (created from only four patterns in total). Three cheers for innovation!


(Photos via NJAL)


Related Posts